Alexander’s Highland Market is the product of nearly a century of one family’s service in the grocery business. Richard Alexander opened the first Alexander’s Grocery in Ascension Parish in 1921. Richard’s grandson, Murray, took over operations and renamed the 2,000 square-foot St. Amant store in 1977. Murray replaced the original wood-frame building two decades later with a 12,000 square-foot modern facility that continues to operate as Murray’s Supermarket on Highway 429 today. Now, a fourth generation owns and runs that store as well as the new Alexander’s Highland Market.